Gerunds after Prepositions

Gerunds after Prepositions

This is a good rule. It has no exceptions!
If we want to use a verb after a preposition, it must be a gerund. It is impossible to use an infinitive after a preposition. So for example, we say:
  • I will call you after arriving at the office.
  • Please have a drink before leaving.
  • I am looking forward to meeting you.
  • Do you object to working late?
  • Tara always dreams about going on holiday.
Notice that you could replace all the above gerunds with "real" nouns:
  • I will call you after my arrival at the office.
  • Please have a drink before your departure.
  • I am looking forward to our lunch.
  • Do you object to this job?
  • Tara always dreams about holidays.
The above rule has no exceptions!
So why is "to" followed by "driving" in 1 and by "drive" in 2?
  1. I am used to driving on the left.
  2. I used to drive on the left.
Answer
to as prepositionPreposition
I am usedtodriving on the left.
I am usedtoanimals.
to as infinitiveInfinitive
I usedto driveon the left
I usedto smoke.
Categories:
Similar Videos

0 comments: